My take on everything and anything.

Friday, April 10, 2009

Is ignorance really bliss?

I've done a lot of thinking over the past years sue to my enormous amounts of time alone. And as I have mentioned in my realization posts I realized that when parents describe the world to their children at younger ages it is made out to be a very happy place. Then around the time kids start becoming news conscious (13-15) they realize this to be a lie. Well, the question I've been asking myself lately is, is ignorance really bliss. Is it a good thing to let a child's first decade be as happy as possible.

On the plus side it gives kids a time to be kids. No pressure on their shoulders. They can be as happily ignorant as possible. But the problem with that is that it means that any big decisions (regarding religion, politics, or other matters of the sort) that are made during that time stay with them for the rest of their lives. That in turn means that any adult with any intentions (good or bad) could influence these kids to make bad decisions.

So to conclude I would say that it is not bliss. It can be a good thing so that stress begins when it should but the pro's of keeping kids informed out weigh the cons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...excellent point, but, i have to disagree jon.

i'd prefer to have a real life discusiion about this tho, rather than through the internet.

About Me

My photo
Hi I'm Jon, an aspiring journalist from Ontario Canada

Television Episodes Hall of Fame

  • Family Ties Speed Trap
  • The Pretender Murder 101
  • House Birthmarks
  • House Alone
  • House The Jerk
  • House Skin Deep
  • House Three Stories
  • Friends The Last One
  • Friends The One With the Football
  • Friends The One With All the Poker
  • Friends The Pilot (The One Where It all Began)
  • Friends The One with the Embryos
  • Star Trek Enterprise In a Mirror Darkly
  • Star Trek Voyager Scorpion
  • Star Trek TNG All Good Things...
  • Star Trek TNG Cause and Effect