My take on everything and anything.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Power Ballads

As many of you have probably been able to deduce about me, I am a music lover. I listen to my favourite tunes whenever I get the chance. So obviously I was extatic when I found out my mother was getting a computer and I would be allowed to upload Frostwire. I've had it for 3 days and I've uploaded over 150 songs already. Well when I realized that I needed to make some mixed Cd's so I could listen to these wihout the computer I went searching for some way to divide my songs so I could have some order to my mix CD's (and yes I know that is somewhat Oxy-moronic). So I came up with the obvious ones; Metal, Alternative & Punk, and Prog Rock. Then I had like 14 songs left over that didn't really fit in the other categories. Songs like It's Hrad for Me to Say I'm Sorry by Chicago, I'll Remember You by Skid Row, and Every Rose has It's Thorn by Poison. So I decided to make a POWER BALLADS list.

One of the most popular forms of music in the 80's (now referred to has Hair Metal) was known for it's grungy, heavy sound. For about five years they ruled the charts. But around 1985 people started to want the softer side of music again. And the power ballad was born. Songs that had a softer more unplugged sound but still had that powerfull gut wrenching guitar solo. Bands from all over started spilling their guts out with deep and profound lyrics about love and heart break.
Although many music historians consider this to be the start of the breakdown of the 80's hair metal scene, they still acknowledge that these songs were some of the best.

So just for fun I've put together a list of my favourite power ballads including some that were not from the 80's.

15. 1979-The Smashing Pumpkins
Although it came out in the alternative rock scene it is one of the most mellow songs ever written. It talks about easier times when kids could be kids and didn't have a care in the world. Since it's realease t has always been considered one of the Smashing Pumpkins best tracks.

14. I Can't Stop Loving You-Van Halen
In my opinion the last great Van Halen tune was a major hit in 1995. With that beautiful guitar riff and pounding bass line it let people know that Van Halen was still around (even if not for long).

13.Hard to say I'm Sorry-Chicago
One of Chicago's greatest songs has been a wedding staple since it's release. Although it has been lost among the recent generation, parents will still sing along when it somes on the radio.

12.November Rain-Guns N' Roses
Axl and Slash's Masterpiece. This near nine minute epic has the longest and one of the greatest solos in history. Released on Use Your Illusion 1 in 1991 it has become a staple of the GNR catalogue.

11.Sister Christian-Night Ranger
Just like #13 this song hasa been lost upon the younger audience but if you go to any classic rock bar you will surely hear this track.

10.Hysteria-Def Leppard
The title track from their greatest album is one of the beloved songs among Leppard fans. It has that slow-but-not-to-slow speed that is perfect for slow dancing.

9.Love Rears It's Ugly Head-Living Colour
This song has all the necessary components to be a power ballad. The deep soulful voice, The guitar solo, and the gut wrenching chorus. The one thing that makes it an odd choice is the style of music it is. It is not the usual Metal style but a funk rock song.

8.I Wanna know what Love Is-Foreigner
This is a song that everyone knows. It is on every soft rock compilation out there and is still selling on Itunes today.

7. Dont Cry-Guns N' Roses
GNR's second entry on the list is an incredibly popular song that is still played on classic rock stations today.

6.Last Kiss-Pearl Jam
The most recent member of the list is a cover of an incredibly popular song. The reason that this stands tall among all the other covers is Eddie Vedder's voice. He just sings effortlessly but with emotion.

5.Every Rose has it's Thorn-Poison
Another song that everyone knows. This song has been the one song that has kept Poison popular through the decades.

4.I Remeber You-Skid Row
This song is another lesser known track on our list. There isn't alot more to be said. It's just a flat out amazing song.

3.Is This Love-Whitesnake
This song known more for it's video than anything else is still played at dances today. With Dave Coverdale's voice wailing through the speakers you just cant help but sing along.

2.Love Bites-Def Leppard
Their most populr song and the second one on this list is a template for every ballad that has come since.

1.Don't Stop Believing-Journy
Was anyone really suprised. This is the song that people sing when their drunk, sad, happy, in love, hell they sing it any time it comes over the radio. Everyone knows the lyrics and unlike the cococabana they aren't embaressed to show em. This is the power ballad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and
under that catergory
goes

"all blink 182 songs :)

xD

=D

About Me

My photo
Hi I'm Jon, an aspiring journalist from Ontario Canada

Television Episodes Hall of Fame

  • Family Ties Speed Trap
  • The Pretender Murder 101
  • House Birthmarks
  • House Alone
  • House The Jerk
  • House Skin Deep
  • House Three Stories
  • Friends The Last One
  • Friends The One With the Football
  • Friends The One With All the Poker
  • Friends The Pilot (The One Where It all Began)
  • Friends The One with the Embryos
  • Star Trek Enterprise In a Mirror Darkly
  • Star Trek Voyager Scorpion
  • Star Trek TNG All Good Things...
  • Star Trek TNG Cause and Effect