My take on everything and anything.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Slasher Flicks

Yes I know that this is a much lighter topic than I've had recently. I'm just in a more not-so-serious mood as of late. So onto the main event.

Recently I took it upon myself to do something not many people would willingly do. I decided to watch the entire Friday the 13th movie series. It took me a whole long weekend to do but I got through it. The one conclusion I drew from that series was, "how could legendary movies like Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Halloween inspire someone to make this heap of crap." I'm sorry to any fans of the series, but I just hate those movies. So then I got to thinking about the whole slasher genre. From it's earliest roots in Psycho to it's latest additions like Prom Night, the slasher genre has always been interesting in North American culture. Although 90% of these movies have horrible actors, directors, writers, and producers, people continue to shell out their money to go see them. I've always found this interesting, so after I had finished watching the Friday the 13th series I decided to come up with a guide to slasher films. I have a list of good ones, mediocre ones, bad ones, and unwatchable ones.

GOOD
A Nightmare on Elm Street 1
Halloween 1
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Psycho
Scream 1
Scream 2
Saw 1
Saw 2
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2

MEDIOCRE
Black Christmas (1974)
Prom Night (1980)
Scream 3
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Halloween 2
Friday the 13th 1
Sleepaway Camp
Saw 3
Saw 4
Saw 5
Halloween (2007)
Final Destination
Final Destination 2
Wes Craven's New Nightmare

BAD
Friday the 13th 2, 3, and 12 (2009)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 and 3
Halloween 3
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
Final Destination 3
Freddy Vs Jason

UNWATCHABLE
Friday the 13th 4-10
Nightmare On Elm Street 4-6
Halloween 4-9
And last but not least any slasher movie from the past decade that was not in another category

Just to finish this off I suggest that no one should ever watch all of these movies like I did. I think I dropped a couple IQ points.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why don't you write about something more upbeat? :)

wwefreakjon said...

well i try and think about things i can blog about and have enough that there is a point to it so if you have an idea for me please pass it along

About Me

My photo
Hi I'm Jon, an aspiring journalist from Ontario Canada

Television Episodes Hall of Fame

  • Family Ties Speed Trap
  • The Pretender Murder 101
  • House Birthmarks
  • House Alone
  • House The Jerk
  • House Skin Deep
  • House Three Stories
  • Friends The Last One
  • Friends The One With the Football
  • Friends The One With All the Poker
  • Friends The Pilot (The One Where It all Began)
  • Friends The One with the Embryos
  • Star Trek Enterprise In a Mirror Darkly
  • Star Trek Voyager Scorpion
  • Star Trek TNG All Good Things...
  • Star Trek TNG Cause and Effect