My take on everything and anything.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

One of the most pathetic things Ive ever heard

Today while I was going on my usual internet scourge, I found something that was not only insulting but embarrassing as well. I found a study done in 2006 of grade twelve students in Ontario. The basis of the study was "How many Canadian Born Grade Twelve Students can pass the Canadian Citizenship test." Guess what the findings were. 43% of grade twelve students that participated in the survey are actually knowledgeable Canadians. Only 43% of the students have the knowledge to be a Canadian. I found that so insulting and embarrassing. The second part of the study was done on Immigrant Children. They had a 90% pass rate. The reason that this is somewhat embarrassing is that means that Canadian born kids don't care about knowing their country.

It really hit me for the first time when I heard my friends talk about the US election in November. They were so excited. They were so happy. I'm not saying that I wasn't happy but at least I cared about the Canadian Election too. No one I knew had any care for our own election except for saying it was pointless (which it was but that's not the point) and that they all hated Stephan Dion.

I honestly hope when they do the next study on that topic, the students show a bit more enthusiasm about their country. Because if they don't the Canadian electoral system will be come useless system leaving the choices that the country makes to rich greedy old men who could care less about the good will of the Canadian people.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your insight and wit makes this blog great to read!

Keep it up!

wwefreakjon said...

thank you

Anonymous said...

Canadian kids don't have to know about their country to live in it, because they were born in it.
Im nor arguing any of yourpoints, just adding on.
Immigrant children HAVE to pass the test in order to achieve citizen ship, and the majority of them learn about other histories of Canada.

wwefreakjon said...

i know they dont have too pass it but they should

Anonymous said...

maybe they should start teaching more about canada in schools, you cant blame the kids

About Me

My photo
Hi I'm Jon, an aspiring journalist from Ontario Canada

Television Episodes Hall of Fame

  • Family Ties Speed Trap
  • The Pretender Murder 101
  • House Birthmarks
  • House Alone
  • House The Jerk
  • House Skin Deep
  • House Three Stories
  • Friends The Last One
  • Friends The One With the Football
  • Friends The One With All the Poker
  • Friends The Pilot (The One Where It all Began)
  • Friends The One with the Embryos
  • Star Trek Enterprise In a Mirror Darkly
  • Star Trek Voyager Scorpion
  • Star Trek TNG All Good Things...
  • Star Trek TNG Cause and Effect